The Education Department in the City of Stockholm is the biggest municipal department in Sweden, with almost 16,000 employees and approximately 170 municipal compulsory and upper secondary schools. We endeavour to provide all children in the Stockholm with a good education. The focus is on the pupils’ circumstances, motivation and learning.
The issues that the Education Department is responsible for are to
- operate and develop municipal activities in
- preschool classes
- compulsory school
- special needs compulsory school
- upper secondary school
- special needs upper secondary school
- leisure-times centres and after-school clubs
- assume responsibility for independent operations based on the municipality’s responsibilities, such as licensing, supervision and handling applications, comments and complaints
- offer services in all student health professions.
The elected representatives on the Education Committee make decisions on how the City should work in this area. The Education Department must then implement the committee’s decisions.
The work of the Education Department is led by Director of Education Lena Holmdahl. The Department consists of six divisions with responsibility for operations within each area.